Hope everyone is Safe, Secure and Healthy.
In this Article we will get to know what makes CPENT more Tougher than OSCP
We all know Offensive Security’s OSCP (Offensive Security Certified Professional) is the King of all Penetration Testing Certifications, but I don’t think the streak will continue. Ec-Councils CPENT (Certified Penetration Testing Professional) is the perfect rivalry for offensive security’s OSCP.
I consider that OSCP is little bit overrated these days, even people are blindly running for it without any reason. Let’s See what both the courses have, what to choose for and who can choose.
We will discuss first about the Course Content of CPENT
- Introduction to Penetration Testing
- Penetration Testing Scoping and Engagement
- Open Source Intelligence (OSINT)
- Social Engineering Penetration Testing
- Network Penetration Testing – External
- Network Penetration Testing– Internal
- Network Penetration Testing – Perimeter Devices
- Web Application Penetration Testing
- Wireless Penetration Testing
- IoT Penetration Testing
- OT/SCADA Penetration Testing
- Cloud Penetration Testing
- Binary Analysis and Exploitation
- Report Writing and Post Testing Actions
- Mastering Metasploit Frameworks
- PowerShell Scripting
- Bash Environment & Scripting
- Python Environment & Scripting
- Perl Environment & Scripting
- Ruby Environment & Scripting
- Active Directory Pen Testing
- Database Penetration Testing
- Mobile Device Penetration Testing Methodology
Course Content for OSCP
- Penetration Testing: What You Should Know
- Getting Comfortable with Kali Linux
- Command Line Fun
- Practical Tools
- Bash Scripting
- Passive Information Gathering
- Active Information Gathering
- Vulnerability Scanning
- Web Application Attacks
- Introduction to Buffer Overflows
- Windows Buffer Overflows
- Linux Buffer Overflows
- Client-Side Attacks
- Locating Public Exploits
- Fixing Exploits
- File Transfers
- Antivirus Evasion
- Privilege Escalation
- Password Attacks
- Port Redirection and Tunneling
- Active Directory Attacks
- The Metasploit Framework
- PowerShell Empire
- Assembling the Pieces: Penetration Test Breakdown
- Trying Harder: The Labs
I think you might have guessed in what way both the courses are different, yes.
OSCP will train you in a way with all the hands on skills and techniques to carry out a penetration testing but unfortunately it lacks the information and guidance on explaining when and where and how it can be used by the penetration testers.
CPENT gains a point here in proper scaling of the methodology and process a penetration tester needs to carry out the penetration testing.
Coming to the point, How CPENT is way tougher than LPT?
Though OSCP Examination is the tough one so far, CPENT now steals its spot with even tougher Challenges in it.
so far only one Guy cleared the CPENT exam in the whole cyber world. What makes it more tougher?
CPENT is designed with the real world scenarios unlike the Vulnerable Boxes we Play with Hack the Box, Vulnhub, and try hack me things.
You have to deal with Firewalls, DMZs, WAF and other Defensive measures too in order to crack a machine that creates an extra barrier for the candidates who cleared OSCP with ease.
CPENT’s new inclusions of IOT and OT added more difficult challenges to the exam. Where OSCP lacks in that part.
CPENT’s Scripting languages such as powershell, bash, perl, ruby are also the reason to make CPENT a tougher one.
On the other hand we have to appreciate OSCP for enhancing students skills in Exploit Development Capabilities on their own where CPENT lacks in that part.
CPENT Includes Pivoting and Double Pivoting, Weaponization, Binary exploitations are to be noted.
other than that both the program have same quality over the course content such as
Client side and Server Side attacks,
CPENT’s Real Scenario Based Machines makes it more difficult than the OSCP’s Simulated Machines. CPENT Course is also designed in such a way to train you to be a perfect Penetration Tester for an Organization not just a CTF Solver.